- 1 What is Co-Codamol Codeine?
- 2 How To Take Co-Codamol:
- 3 Before Taking Co-Codamol:
What is Co-Codamol Codeine?
Co-Codamol is mainly composed of two pain relieving compounds: codeine and paracetamol. Each tablet contains 30mg of codeine and 500mg of paracetamol. It’s usually given to alleviate mild and short-term pains when paracetamol is not strong enough to do the job. The paracetamol compound in Co-Codamol fixed to 500mg but the Codeine compound has 30mg, 15mg, and 8mg variations for different levels of potency.
Co-Codamol limits the amount of medicine a patient needs to ingest daily since one tablet of Co-Codamol already has the combination of two painkillers. The downside to this is that it’s more difficult to determine the right amount to intake as it’s a compounded medicine. Increasing the dosage also increases the risk of getting side effects from the drug.
Basic Co-Codamol Facts Before You Buy:
|Type of Medicine||A combination painkilled (includes codeine and paracetamol)|
|Used For||Pain Relief|
|Also Known as:||Codipar®; Kapake®; Solpadol®; Tylex®; Zapain®|
|Available as:||Provided in capsules, tablets, and effervescent tablets|
How To Take Co-Codamol:
The package insert that comes with the medicine should be read thoroughly before intake. The insert usually has all the dosage and usage instructions as well as the common side effects the patient might feel during medication.
It’s best to consult your doctor for a prescription rather than proceeding with self-medication. Usually, adults are allowed to take in up to 2 tablets every 4 to 6 hours. Patients need to remember to let at least 4 hours pass before the next intake and consume only up to two tablets per intake. Maximum dosage for a 24-hour period is up to 8 tablets only. These restrictions are based on the fact that the medicine contains high levels of paracetamol.
The tablet should be swallowed with the help of plenty of water. Co-Codamol can be ingested before or after meals but its potency takes full effect when taken after eating. Pain may still persist after a few doses.
Like with every other medicine, it’s best to avoid taking in 2 dosages to make up for the missed intake. Doing so will increase the chances of experiencing side effects. If you miss your intake schedule, you can consume a tablet once you feel pain again. Adjust subsequent intakes based on the time you last ingested the medicine.
Before Taking Co-Codamol:
Codeine is an opioid pain killer which also happens to be narcotic. It is mostly advised to be used during mild or moderate pains by adults. Codeine should be taken under doctor’s prescription since it can lead to difficulty in breathing where it could slow down your breathing or even stop your breathing.
Before taking co-codamol, be sure to visit your doctor to prevent any unwanted side effects. Below are some general advice offered by medical experts:
- Pregnant women should seek their doctor’s approval before taking Co-Codamol. Common paracetamol is considered safe for pregnant women, but Co-Codamol also contains codeine which may have adverse effects on pregnancy.Breastfeeding women should NOT take Co-Codamol because the risk to the infant is higher than the painkiller’s benefit to the mother.
- Should not be taken by persons who are allergic to the drug. Codeine is not advised to people with uncontrolled breathing problems, paralytic ileus, regular asthma attacks or hyperventilation due to its breathing side effects.Codeine should not be administered to children especially those that have been out of surgery to get rid of the adenoids and tonsils. This is because it breaks down so quickly in the liver and later spreads even higher than the expected levels of the body that slows down the heart beat which could later lead to death mostly in children.
- Codeine is a highly reactive drug thus, should not be taken together with other drugs since it could lead to a severe condition known as serotonin syndrome. Therefore, it is important to tell your doctor if you are under any kind of medication so that the doctor can know the best drug to subscribe to you.
- If you are under medications for depression, migraine headaches, mental illness, infections, prevention from vomiting and nausea it is important to let the doctor know before you make any decisions on changing the drug to codeine.
- Codeine should not be used if the patient is an alcoholic addict since it could lead to death. It should also not be used when driving since it leads to impairedsight and thinking which may cause accidents.
- Codeine could have some bad side effects like slow heartbeat rate, swellings, seizures, low cortisol levels, urination problems, confusion and hallucinations and if a patient notices some of these side effects it is important to let the doctor know and get a better option for your medication.
- Besides, the bad side effects of Codeine there are some of the common side effects like; dizziness, nausea, sweating, constipation and itchiness among others. Therefore is important to let the doctor know of some of these side effects for your health and safety.
More on Codamol and Pregnancy:
Codeine is a habit forming drug and therefore it should not be taken by pregnant mothers since it may be passed to the unborn child and the child could become dependent on the drug.
This could lead to fatal withdrawal symptoms to the baby once it is delivered as the infants who are born dependent on a habit-forming drug will need medical attention for a number of weeks. Codeine could also be passed during breastfeeding and harm the child thus, a breastfeeding mother should not take codeine since it may lead to serious side effects to the child.
It is for this reason that you should let your doctor be aware if you are pregnant, planning on being pregnant or if you are breastfeeding your baby to protect the health of the baby and the mother too since it could also reactive badly to the expectant of breast-feeding mother.
Co-Codamol Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
There are a lot of questions about Co-codamol so we decided to share the most frequently asked questions below. Should you have additional questions or concerns, feel free to contact our live support or get in touch via phone or email.
What is stronger co-codamol or codeine?
Codeine by itself is not effective. Hence the reason scientists combined codeine with paracetamol forming co-codamol which is much more effective and potent.
What’s in co-codamol 30 500?
Co-codamol contains codeine phosphate and paracetamol. Codeine belongs to the opioid family and is an effective way to treat pain.
When to stop taking co codamol?
Stop taking c0-codamol when your doctor tell you to do so. Codeine is a very potent pain killer and highly addictive. Seek professional medical advice on dosage to prevent serious health issues.
How much co-codamol 500mg can i take?
A trained medical professional will be able to provide the appropriate dosage for Co-codamol 500 mg. Please seek a medical professional to receive proper dosage.
Why is co codamol addictive?
Co-codamol contains the compound codeine phosphate which belongs to the opiate family. Opiates are known for their analgesic properties.